Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The rest of the trip

This past Saturday was Tracy's birthday....the day we chose to head out for Philly.
This was my first trip here.....so there were a few things I wanted to see..and a few things Brian (Tracy's husband) wanted to eat. :) There was an Italian fair happening that day so we raced through the street...filled with all kind of Italian goodies...to make our way to lunch at the original restaurant that invented the Philly Cheese steak.
I wish I could remember when they opened...I think the very early 1900"s.

Yes, that is the line we had to stand in. Actually there was another line but it was for Jeno's across the street.
The lines pretty much met in the middle of the street and the cars were so used to them that there was no rudeness.....they just went around. The line went really fast and you had better have your cash and order ready when you get to the window or you would hear...NEXT!
I wanted to try what most everyone likes so I got the meat with sauteed peppers and onions and whiz.
The latter being some type of liquid cheese......that really made the whole sandwich come together.
So if you are ever in the area....try Pat's!
We then headed off for a few of the attractions. Here is Independence Hall...as seen through the building that houses the Liberty Bell. BTW.........the bell used to be housed in the steeple area you see.
I might also add that if you saw National Treasure....some of it took place here. I seem to remember Nicholas Cage finding some glasses on top of the roof. 
And here is the Liberty Bell.
And here.....Tracy and I in front of Independence Hall.

So after spending a total of about 4 or 5 hours walking we decided to stop for dinner before heading home.
I wish I could remember the name of this place.....maybe Cuban Libre.
It was the most incredible place I had been in a LONG time.
The restaurant was open to the outside....and the inside....Oh my goodness!
This picture really does not do it justice.
It took awhile to figure what I would order because the food combination's were so unusual.
This was one of the dishes we ordered......doesn't that look great!
All of the food coming out of the kitchen was so creative. I could have really sat there and just enjoyed looking.....but we got to eat and it was fabulous!
Thank you Brian for taking us out!
These were incredible lights......someone did a fantastic job decorating this place.
The next day we headed off for Gettysburg.
It had been about 10 years since I had been there....seems like I end up going here abut every ten years.
First with Mom and Dad, then with Keith after we got married, then back for our ten year anniversary, and now 11 years later.....Here I am again.
We visited the Wills house.
The room below....with the same bedspread.....was the room Lincoln stayed in the night before he delivered
the Gettysburg address. The story is that he finished up the last touches here at the Wills House.
We had lunch at a sidewalk cafe and finished up our tour by driving through some of the battle ground. We saw this monument below and thought how strange and sweet that someone had left a wreath.....
maybe they are decedents of someone who fought here.
Well that about wraps it up! We had a great visit.....talked and talked and could have talked some more. :)
But it was time to go home and return to life as normal.
Thanks for joining me on a reader's digest version of my trip.

12 comments:

Nise' said...

So glad you had a wonderful time. I love, love Gettysburg and need to go back for a visit.

Denise said...

Wow, what a trip sis.

Denise said...

I would love to go there one day.. Glad you got to take the time for yourself.... Everyone needs a friend to talk and talk and talk to!

luvmy4sons said...

What a wonderful time! So glad you shared it! Blessings!

Halfmoon Girl said...

What an interesting trip. Your pictures made me hungry! I believe that the food must have been very good if you, a trained chef, thought so. Glad you had such a lovely getaway!

Connie Barris said...

Oh WOW... I can't even see a philly steak and not think of my dad.. he LOVED them...

it looks like you had a great time..

blessings
Connie

Shirley said...

What a nice trip and visit with your friend you had...very interesting and fun. Your pictures are great...you and Tracy look like you really enjoyed it. Isn't God just so good to us! So happy for you.

Fitter After 50 said...

You've been to PA and back since I last visited your website. I do apologize. I've been kept busy with packing/cleaning and readying the house for sale. I'm sorry we won't have a chance to meet. It would have been great. I'm glad you had a great visit just the same. The pictures were beautiful.

Terri said...

Well poot Sharon~ sent u a long e-mail only for it to be kicked back. Sent to the g-mail address too. When u have time e-mail me pls.
terri.baker@embarqmail.com

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Sandi said...

Pat's is awesome. I live about 45 minutes from there.

Glad you had a great time visiting PA

Terri said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Can't think of any one who deserves a break more than you. Love your pics too. Looks like a neat place to visit.


It's fun to strike out on your own, huh?
Love ya!