Saturday, January 12, 2008

Silence and Oberservation-Ops! Observation


A young woman wrote, "I often yearn to be a writer but after reading books like yours, I feel that all the important things have already been said!''

They have indeed been said, and long before I said them. If a thing is true it is not new, but the truth needs to be said again and again, freshly for each generation. I have often been introduced to some seventeenth-or eighteenth-century writer by a nineteenth-century writer. If I quote what I learn from the ancients, a twentieth-century reader is sometimes helped when he would not by himself have found Crashaw's poem or St. Francis' prayer or St. Paul's Love chapter.

What of the twenty-first century? Which of the young people I know are now laying the groundwork for being the writers or artists or, as I like to think of any who show truth in any form, the prophets for my grandchildren's grandchildren?

I wrote to the young woman:

Don't give up that yearning. During these busy years while you take care of small children and give yourself to being a godly wife and mother, lay the firm footing on which good writing must be built. Read great books if you have time to read anything at all. Get rid of the junk that comes in the mail, eschew all magazines and newspapers if your reading time is limited, and by "hearing" the really great authors, learn the sound and cadence of good English.

There are two other things required of "prophets." Observation ("What do you see?" Ezekiel and John were asked) and silence. ("The word of the Lord came to me.") Obviously we (I, at least, and most others, I suppose) are not anything like the biblical prophets. Ours is a different assignment. But we are charged with the responsibility of telling the truth, and I don't see how this can possibly be done without opening our eyes to see and our ears to hear. There must, there simply must, be time and space allowed for silence and for solitude if what we see and hear is to be "processed."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of Wind, Sand, and Stars, said in a conversation with Anne Morrow Lindbergh, "The great of the earth are those who leave silence and solitude around themselves, their work and their life, and let it ripen of its own accord."

Elisabeth Elliot

Me now---A one time I had a desire to write a book. Something that would change the way someone has always thought and pave the way to FREEDOM. But in the last year or so that has changed. I do want to be a tool used by God to open the eyes of this world to Truth. But I have really become aware that there is no new truth under the sun.

There are so many out there now with books, seminars and plans---all proclaiming to be the ones with the answers. And although sometimes there is something in the mass that really hits me--nothing has set me totally free from this worlds ties. I still labor on.

I love the last quote above by Antoine de Saint-Exupery . "The great of the earth are those who leave silence and solitude around themselves, their work and their life, and let it ripen of its own accord." How profound is that? Ours is not to convince. Ours is just to put the TRUTH out there and then back off so that in the silence, the truth has time to sink in and take root. This world is so noisy. So full of noise pollution. I believe that I have missed out on much truth because it was coming at me at such a fast and furious rate and so loudly to boot, that I just ducked my heart to avoid being beaten to death by it.

And then one day, out of the silence I hear His voice. It is so sweet and pure. So clear and simple. No five step plan. No offering or money that needs to be given. Just simple surrender to Peace and the quiet of His Spirit. The place for me where TRUTH takes root.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!! We need to listen for that small still voice. Yes that is where the truth is and the truth will set you free!! God Bless.

AK said...

I love Elisabeth Elliot's work. I agree with what you said. However, I'm currently reading this book and part of it is about our dreams. God created us have dreams and desires. Many of them come from Him, but that doesn't mean they always come to fruition. If God asks you to do something, then you do it no matter how many other people have done it before you or how many people you think could do it better than you. God's truth is ultimately the only thing that matters, but if we don't share that truth then people won't have the opportunity to know it! just a thought...
Have a wonderful weekend!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I LOVEd this silence and OBERSERVATION. I'm like you, I type so F A S T I transpose or add a syllable. But it makes your passion about this word all the more cute and chilling for me. I LOVED THIS POST. I Love Elisabeth! "Do the next thing!" She has been a huge influence in my life.

Denise said...

This was such a great post.

Mary said...

Sharon,

A powerful post. I enjoyed it and look forward to catching up with all of the news.

To answer your question, they will leave Michelle's left ovary as long as there isn't a problem with it. They like to leave one. They left my right one when I had my hysterectomy in '94. I have never had to take hormones and had a very easy transition through menopause.

Take care, my friend. It's so nice to be back and catching up on all the news.

Blessings,
Mary

TammieFay said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your heart. You have no idea how good it is to hear and see how God is at work in you.

It's so good to "visit" with you again...been gone too long. Come by and see me for my absence explanation.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Sharon, I just posted on my blog a thank you to you for the Daily Does (and yes I spelled that right, come see). And this is what I said: Sharon is a wordsmith who has a way with words and loves to dig deep. Thanks so much. Bev

Denise said...

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake: I Kings 19:11

1Ki 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.



I have never red Elisabeth Elliot.. but I think I will now...

That is a great post and I so enjoyed reading it... I have learned in my years, and I must say the hard way that to speak softly and word and then allow the Holy Spirit to do the rest.. I was very mouthy when I was younger... and I also have thought about a book.. but after a few years and not hearing a definite word from the Lord I understand that just being me and offering Jesus is my book..........

Mom is out of hospital tonight and doing better... More tests next week but for tonight she is home again........ thanks for your prayers........

Cahleen @ The Alt Story said...

I loved this post, and I miss participating along side you in the blogging world! I hope to jump back in tonight. I too enjoy reading Elisabeth Elliot, which is saying a lot because it's very difficult for me to get into a non-fiction book. There's only a few non-fiction writers that can hold my attention, and she's one of them!

Masked Rabbit said...

Silence and contemplation, two things that are guarenteed to put us in a good position to hear from God. Great post, Sharon.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Although I agree with the part of "Everything's been written under the sun" I think though that God uses us to put things in a different perspective for others. Something you write may make way more sense to me personally than a "famous" author. I think you do have a gift of seeing the heart of God in a very real and special way and it will be through those intimate moments I think God is going to use your writing the most!!

concerned parent said...

I too get lost in the noise and the love the silence when we can really be still and know he is God.

Connie Barris said...

READ SCRIPTURE 1 KINGS 19:11-12

This was beautiful... I agree.. and it's funny because as you think of a parent.. who screams... the kids drown the parent out.. but try whispering... what do you do? You seek to hear...

Well written my friend
Connie

She Rose Up said...

Lots of good stuff in here, Sharon..there is something good going on in your thoughts and musings of late (looks to be an auspicious year!)...

I love the point of silence and observation....and the quote you highlighted, those were both awesome nuggets! Thanks so much!