Friday, January 25, 2008

A Puzzle Solved

The following post was posted back in April.
Shore Stories reminded me of it yesterday and I thought you might enjoy reading it on this beautiful Friday. I love this post and on the last post I did I also posted a few of my other favorites. Have a great day.
Remember to spend some sweet time with God--He loves you so.
And of course I do too!





As some of you know we are living in a *camper while we are waiting to rebuild our house that we tore down in December. How is 24/7 camping? Not bad. You would be amazed what you can do without when you need to. Honestly the only thing I miss is my 15 minute showers. Why? Because now the hot water only last 6 minutes, so ya got to get it done and get it out. I've got a washer and dryer and my refrigerator in a shed that my husband built-yes, I have a handy man. It even has cable and a sofa bed in it. Now I know you are probably having horrible visions in your mind but it was either this way of life or $1,200 to 1,700 a month for rent.
To me that would be like throwing my new wood floors or a professional oven down the drain. And girl, I do so want a professional oven in my new house. Guess I have a little of the chef in me still.
About a week ago I was out doing laundry and Julia was in the camper watching something on T.V. when all of a sudden she came taring into the shed in a panic. She informed us that there was a high pitch noise going off in the camper and that it had even scared our 14 year old, deaf Boston Terrier. Now if you have ever been in a larger travel camper you notice that they have you fully set up with all kinds of alarms, should something malfunction. There is of course the fire alarm and the carbon monoxide alarm and an alarm for a propane leak.
By the time I got to the camper there was no alarm going off. She showed me which one had been flashing and it was the one for the propane. Now I am a little concerned--I can see the morning headlines, "Family found dead in camper because of a propane leak". Or better yet we survive, but we provide a fourth of July bonfire for our neighborhood several months to early.
Trying to appear calm I tell her that maybe it was just testing itself and if there is a problem it will go off again. The light on it is now green saying everything is fine. Strange?
So two days pass and it is about 3:00 in the morning and I am startled awake by the sound of a loud (did I say loud?) excruciating, piercing alarm going off. YES, once again the propane alarm is going off. Hubby, who is like our Dog Rusty(no he is not 14-just half deaf) is not alarmed because the high pitch is almost to high for him to hear. Don't ask me to explain that. From what I understand when you have problems with you hearing-- some levels of sound go first. Ans yes, evidently my voice is in that range. And, no I don't even have a high pitch squealing voice. Any hoo, I digress. So I go taring across the floor almost tripping over Rusty and start trying to get the alarm to go off. Someone told me once that a spider walking across theirs set it off. So I pulled it out from the wall and blew on it and it stopped. Once again we have a green light. So, I waited a minute to see if it would go off again, and nope still have green.
Most people would probably not have gone back to bed but I thanked God for the safety of my family and Rusty and went back to bed.
As you can imagine I tried to rack my brain as to what could be setting it off. Maybe the electricity flickered and it was resetting itself, maybe the spider thing--who knows. I just prayed that whatever was setting it off would stop or we would figure it out.
The next day I was sweeping the floor. Rusty is lying on the floor all spread eagle, in the way of course. The problem with a deaf, did I mention blind, 14 year old dog is that you are not going to get him to move quickly and no amount of talking to him is going to get him to move either. So as gently as I could I bent down and laid my hand on his head, to nudge him awake, just about the time he felt the need to release a little ---hmmmm----stomach pressure. I popped back up, overcome by the immediate need for some fresh air and then it happened. Yep, the propane alarm started going off.
Now we have known for a while that our old dogs digestion was enough to set off a feeling of complete revulsion or disgust in our family and yes , sometimes in a poor unknowing guest. But, the dealer failed to tell us that when it comes to the propane alarm, BEWARE THE DOG!
Mystery solved!

And now you know the rest of the story!In sweet memory of our dog Rusty
*We are no longer living in the camper.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a HOOT! Thanks for the laugh and sorry it was at your expensive. Talk about putting the wind in your sails. hahahahahaha

Oh and thanks for your comment. It might have been a good "Guess what this is pic, huh?"

Halfmoon Girl said...

Yes! Thanks for posting that again. That is one of the funniest posts I have read. Love it.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That is to funny!! I loved this one!!

Anonymous said...

Shared this with my daughter today. She loved it too and got a real kick out of Rusty. She wanted to know if you meant 14 human years or dog years. I figured it was human years you were referring to and thought it was an excellent question just the same.

Mary said...

LOL Sharon! I was about to ask you if you had checked the battery when I got to the good part about you bending down to touch the dog's head.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. This is a terrific post.

Love and blessings,
Mary

Denise said...

So glad you reposted this, love you.

Andrea said...

Wow, what a story!
I was wondering how it was going to turn out...RUSTY!!

MelanieJoy said...

hahahaha...are you serious! And I thought my brother-in-law was bad-
ole Rusty has him beat!!

Kellan said...

That is just simply hysterical Sharon - what a funny story. I hope you have a great weekend and I'm glad you are no longer living in a trailor. See ya. Kellan

Denise said...

Come by my blog, I have two awards for you sis.

luvmy4sons said...

Love the added pic of your pouchy!

Anonymous said...

BWAHAHA!

This post was before we met. :o)

Rest in peace, Rusty.

Unknown said...

Glad you reposted this! Funny!

Melanie said...

This was HILARIOUS!! Thanks for a good laugh. I never knew that could set off one of those alarms!

Nise' said...

This still makes me laugh just as hard today as it did then!

Denise said...

Now THAT is funny.......... and we have a lot in common....... I lived in a camper for 6 months while waiting on a house........ I have a dog that you DO NOT want in close quarters if he has eaten liver!! and my DH cannot hear high pitched sounds......... He is hard of hearing and shrill noises just pass right over him...... ahahha How long have you been out of the camper...........

Denise said...

I think taping my mouth shut long before I get full is my solution.. we shall see....... you make me laugh.. and no we do not need to our mouth to talk..... ahahahhah

have a great Sunday

Cahleen @ The Alt Story said...

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! =)

Masked Rabbit said...

Ahh so sweet. By the way Sharon, I've tagged for for the 6 things meme!

Melanie said...

I have tagged you for ABCDE links and I have an award for you too. Stop by to check it out!

She Rose Up said...

Sharon, what a hoot! So sorry you are missing your pooch. That is a hard pain to swallow.

She Rose Up said...

Ok, LOL! I accidently sent my message before I was done! Anywho, I never knew you had been hit by Katrina. Gracious, you got some kinda stories to tell! & you are all in your fixed up home, I hope?

Love this post! I didn't see that coming!

Kellan said...

Hi Sharon - thanks for coming by today. I hope you have had a good weekend. See you soon. Kellan

Lisa N Alexander said...

ROTFL!!!!

concerned parent said...

I will chuckle about this one all day!!

Connie Barris said...

I so needed a good laugh...

Thank you...


and I want to thank you for your prayers.. I know that is what has held me up these days...and the days to come...

You are such a blessing
Connie

She Rose Up said...

Sharon, I left you a couple of somethings at my place! :)

hugs,
Maria

SunnySusan said...

that was too funny....so it happened to you but I am glad I had a laugh....

Still enjoying my MIL's visit....

Be Blessed